LSTM Home > LSTM Research > LSTM Online Archive

Comparative analysis of the Potter Tower and a new Track Sprayer for the application of residual sprays in the laboratory

Bonds, Jane, Parsons, George, Walker, Kyle, Murphy, Annabel, Lees, Rosemary ORCID:, Nimmo, Derric, Clayton, John and Malone, David (2024) 'Comparative analysis of the Potter Tower and a new Track Sprayer for the application of residual sprays in the laboratory'. Parasites & Vectors, Vol 17, Issue 1, p. 66.

13071_2024_Article_6168.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (1MB) | Preview


Efforts to evaluate the residual efficacy of new indoor residual spraying (IRS) formulations have identified limitations with the industry standard laboratory sprayer, the Potter Spray Tower (PT). Calibrating the PT can be time-consuming, and the dosing of surfaces may not be as accurate or uniform as previously assumed.

To address these limitations, the Micron Horizontal Track Sprayer with Spray Cabinet (TS) was developed to provide higher efficiency, ease of operation and deposition uniformity equal to or better than the PT. A series of studies were performed using a fluorescent tracer and three IRS formulations (Actellic® 300CS, K-Othrine WG250 and Suspend PolyZone) sprayed onto surfaces using either the PT or the TS.

Deposition volumes could be accurately calibrated for both spray systems. However, the uniformity of spray deposits was higher for the TS compared to the PT. Less than 12% of the volume sprayed using the PT reaches the target surface, with the remaining 88% unaccounted for, presumably vented out of the fume hood or coating the internal surfaces of the tower. In contrast, the TS deposits most of the spray on the floor of the spray chamber, with the rest contained therein. The total sprayed surface area in one run of the TS is 1.2 m2, and the operational zone for spray target placement is 0.7 m2, meaning that 58% of the applied volume deposits onto the targets. The TS can treat multiple surfaces (18 standard 15 × 15 cm tiles) in a single application, whereas the PT treats one surface at a time and a maximum area of around 0.0225 m2. An assessment of the time taken to perform spraying, including the setup, calibration and cleaning, showed that the cost of application using the TS was around 25–35 × less per tile sprayed. Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for calibration and use of both the Potter Tower and Track Sprayer have been developed.

Overall, the TS represents a significant improvement over the PT in terms of the efficiency and accuracy of IRS formulation applications onto test substrates and offers a useful additional tool for researchers and manufacturers wanting to screen new active ingredients or evaluate the efficacy of IRS or other sprayable formulations for insect control.

Item Type: Article
Subjects: QX Parasitology > Insects. Other Parasites > QX 510 Mosquitoes
QX Parasitology > Insects. Other Parasites > QX 650 Insect vectors
Faculty: Department: Biological Sciences > Vector Biology Department
Digital Object Identifer (DOI):
SWORD Depositor: JISC Pubrouter
Depositing User: JISC Pubrouter
Date Deposited: 19 Feb 2024 11:57
Last Modified: 19 Feb 2024 11:57


View details

Actions (login required)

Edit Item Edit Item